June has come and gone and I have not done one ounce of work on getting my new blog up and running. Soon, I pray…soon. But in the meantime, I wanted to post some pictures from June. These monthly posts have sort of become my method of organizing and editing my photos….it also helps me to remember all the great stuff that has happened and all the fun we have had. Since you can’t really take pictures of stress, it’s almost like it wasn’t the main event last month –––––––––––––––––––––––––––
I had intended for my May Review Post (this one) to be my last post before I took the month of June “off” to set up my new blog. I also had plans for 3 more posts before this final one. But seeing as I am 6 days late on this one, and the other ones have yet to be written…they’ll have to wait until July, when my new blog is *hopefully* launched. Enjoy your June!–––––––––––––––––––––––—
Over the past several weeks, I’ve had a lot of home decorating projects to share as we worked to get our CO home ready to sell before our big move to NE. You have now had a tour of my Living Room, Bonus Room, Kitchen, Main Bathroom, Master Bedroom, Master Closet, Master Bathroom, Kid’s Room, Nursery, and Laundry Nook. I have just one room of our home left to show you….the Den.
When we first walked through our home, I admit we hated this room. We thought it needed a major overhaul.
The wood paneling just wasn’t singing our names. But then my hubby hung a few guns and some antlers on the wall and moved in some big leather couches we got from Grammy……and we realized it made a rather nice man cave after all.As it turned out, we did less to this room than any other room in the house. But there were a few finishing touches we did just before putting the house on the market. Like finishing these unfinished doors:–And fixing up some scratches in this one:You’ll never believe how easy it was to revive the door…I just rubbed some walnuts over the scratches. Yup. Walnuts! Other than that, we just gave the wood shelves and counter top a nice rub-down with some wood reviver,…cleared out some clutter……and mixed up the decor a bit.–So here it is, our cozy den aka. man cave:–––
It was about this time one year ago that I shared photos and a tutorial about the T-shirt Quilt I made for my brother as a High School Graduation Gift.
Several years earlier (about 6-7 years ago), I made one for myself. It recently made its appearance on my blog in this picture (in this post):
I figured I might as well share more…
I then made a template out of newspaper than I could trace and cut around for every other t-shirt graphic.
I intentionally turned the squares so that they were facing every direction so that there was on one “top” side of the quilt.
I did NOT back the squares with any sort of stabilizer, though I admit that may have been wise: some of the seams have since ripped out.
The front, back, and batting layers are held together by small string knots.
The smaller squares around the border where cut from the sleeves and/or front pocket graphic portions of the t-shirts.
The binding was cut from an assortment of grey t-shirt scraps.
My favorite thing about this blanket is its gargantuan size. It is wonderfully big and perfect for picnics!
This button can now be found on my portfolio page.
Our 1970s home does not have a laundry room….just this “nook” in the den.I had been oogling over some other blogger’s laundry room makeovers and decided I might as well make the best of what I’ve got…its’ just a nook, but it could be a cuter nook:)My budget for this project was $0…and I am proud to say I was able to stick to it:) Using drywall leftover from our bathroom renovation, we were able to frame in and add a ceiling and a new wall to the right of the washer. Here it is before:—…and now after:–(The texture on the walls was accomplished using wadded up plastic sacks:)
For the decor, we just hung some single socks from cloths pins and used some scrap wood from our bed project to make this sign……and this shelf:I wanted a sort of ransom note look for the sign, so I used a bunch of mismatched letter stickers for the lettering:I painted over the stickers……and when I removed them, it looked like this:After a bit of touch-up paint and some glazing, it looked like this:So there you have it…a simple, cheap laundry nook makeover.
BEFORE:and AFTER: (P.S. This is my home in Colorado, not the one we just moved to in Nebraska…for the next few weeks I’ll be sharing pictures from all of these projects we finished just before moving…THEN I’ll switch gears to sharing our before pictures and plans for the new home.)
It was quite a while ago that I wrote this post, outlining everything that was wrong with the bathroom which is now a part of our home’s Master Suite. When I revealed our Master Bedroom, I was quite intentional about leaving the bathroom door closed: for the bathroom was still a definite eyesore. We held out on this bathroom for a long time because we had in mind plans to completely overhaul it. But when the opportunity arose for us to move the the ranch, and we decided to sell our home in Colorado, we gave it the attention it had so desperately been needing.
Where once there was a hole in the floor…
…now there is tile:
Where once there was a dysfunctional accordion door…
…now there is a brand new six panel door on hinges:
Where once there was a old, drafty window…
…now there are glass blocks:
Where once there were holes in the ceiling…
…now there are none:
…we are now sporting some satin nickel: